The cathedral was dedicated to St. Peter on its foundation in 1073 by Count Normanno Pietro II. It is among the oldest Romanesque churches in Puglia and has witnessed posterior Baroque style re-facing work. The apse, part of the facade and the walls of the women's gallery remain in tact. The church is today presented in its original Romanesque splendour thanks to restoration work carried out in the Seventies. The main façade has a portal decorated with triple strips of shoots and leaves and a porch supported by griffons on marble columns. Two mullioned windows and four single-light windows complete the facade together with a Baroque window that replaces the original rose window. Of the two side portals only the archivolt mouldings supported by lion head corbels remain. The apse façade is the least altered element and is decorated with blind arches between two bell-towers of the same workmanship. The cathedral inside has three aisles with a women's gallery and was recently restored to its original style (1972). The crypt, that conserves the relics of three patron saints, rests on ten coral breccia columns.
Agenzia per l'Occupazione e lo Sviluppo dell'area Nord Barese Ofantina - s.c.a r.l.
Partita Iva 05215080721
Puglia Imperiale – Sede: Corso Cavour, 23 - Corato (BA) Italy
Tel. 080.4031933 - Fax 080.4032430