Built in honour of St. Nicolas the Pilgrim, work began on this cathedral in 1099, the year in which the saint was canonised. It was completed in 1143 without a bell-tower.
In the shape of a Latin cross, it is divided into three aisles with binate columns; the central nave faces the women’s gallery via fourteen artistic three-light windows. The central nave and the transept are covered with exposed trusses, while the two side aisles have cross beams.
On a whole one gets a sense of majesty and greatness, which is emphasised by the triumphal arch overlooking the entrance to the transept and the very high apses. The presbytery hosts traces of a mosaic dating back to the XII century and was perhaps part of the first decorated floor, which is signed by the priest Pantaleon.
The transversal crypt, in honour of St. Nicholas the Pilgrim, was designed in the XII century and completed in 1142; it is composed of 42 transepts supported by 28 Greek marble columns topped with capitals made from the same stone.
On 25 April 2002 the Cathedral has been declared “Monument messenger of a culture of peace” by UNESCO.
TOUR OF THE CATHEDRAL’S BELL TOWER
Single: € 3,00;
Discount: € 2,00 (schools );
Groups: € 3,00 p.p.(min 15 people)