According to tradition the oldest information about the church goes back to 1139, even though the actual building preserves very few features from this early construction stage.
The Medieval style can be appreciated in the portal with an ogival arch with the half-circle lunette depicting Christ blessing between two sorrowful characters, in the wall of limestone of the lower part, and also in the bell tower which is on three levels that culminate in the bell cell, with mullioned and trifora (tripartite) windows on the second and the third level respectively.
The original factory was restored after the earthquake of 1627 and is shored up on the left side by a rampant arch which is still up to this day.
In 1726 the Bishop of Trani, Giuseppe Davanzati, solemnly dedicated the Collegiate Church of Corato to the Madonna Assunta (tombstones in the counter facade).
The present structure of the church is the result of massive restoration projects performed in 1863 which have raised the naves and modified the high part of the façade with the two circular openings (oculi) and the design of the triangular top in tuff.
Even the interior decor was continuosly restored from the end of the 19th century to the mid 20th century.